Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Line - Label - Lie

Just when I think I have read the best of Lyssa Terkeurst, she surprises us all with yet another treasure of a book, "Uninvited." She nails so many heart issues on the head but just doesn't leave you hanging wondering how in the world do you deal with this. She gives honest and down to earth practical help for a hurting heart. Sometimes, we don't even realize why we react the way we do, right or wrong. It definitely is making me re-evaluate how I talk to those in my home, those I meet by chance, those who stop in unexpectedly....how are my words being accepted?
"We connect an event from today to something harsh someone once said. That person's LINE becomes a LABEL. The LABEL becomes a LIE. And the LIE becomes a liability in how we think about ourselves and interact in every future relationship." (Quote from "Uninvited")
WOW...if that doesn't get your attention...read it again! Lisa gives an example of how this works in our minds...
THE LINE - "I don't want you" becomes the label "You aren't accepted"
THE LABEL - "You aren't accepted" becomes the lie "You aren't worthy."
THE LIE - "You aren't worthy" becomes the script of self-rejection. It unleashes suspicion, doubt, hesitancy, and many other liabilities that hinder present relationships. We project the lines of rejection we heard from our past on others and hold them accountable for words they never said. And worst of all, we catch ourselves wondering if God secretly agrees with those who hurt us. (Quoted and emphasis mine)

I am excited to continue on in this study and as time permits hope to post some of the jewels I find for my own heart through this study.

Think about this...."Rejection steals the best of who I am by reinforcing the worst of what's been said about me." Mmmm.....deep thoughts both for my own heart and for the words I say to others. As the Psalmist said..."Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment