Look back at previous verses...also known as the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus has been teaching his followers what a life devoted to Him should look like.
- (Ch. 5:1-22) He shows what the character of those who follow Him should be.
- (Verses 12-20) He then states we are to be different from the world .
- (Verses 21-26) we are instructed to watch our temper.
- (Verses 27-30) tell us to be very careful of our thought life.
- (Verses 31-32) be sure you are a trustworthy spouse.
- (Verses 33-37) give warnings about our tongue.
- (Verses 38-42) watch how you treat others.
- (Verses 38-48) instructs us to take care of tensions in our lives Biblically.
- Chapter 6 has many warnings about not being a hypocrite in our Christian walk.
ASK - He promises to give you the strength to change what needs to be changed. That discouraged outlook on life...that hopelessness "I can never be what I should be"....that wrong attitude you struggle with. You cant change it on your own!
Seek - His direction...get into the Word. Write out verses to place in prominent spots so that when you find yourself slipping back into that wrong habit, or your anger is getting the best of you, that you have God's Word to help you get your focus back on the Lord.
Knock - He will ALWAYS answer. Luke 11:13 is a parallel to this passage in Matthew but Luke adds something special to it. "If he then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" Without the Holy Spirit, I can't tame my tongue, or change my thoughts, or hunger after His righteousness!
"Look well to the ways of (Your) household" today and ASK God to give you energy and a vision to see your home as a mission field...your husband needs encouragement, your children need to see you depending on the Lord, your friend or neighbor needs that listening ear or word of encouragement.
Stay in the trenches and claim this "Great is He that is IN YOU than he that is the world!"